The state of Oaxaca in Mexico is a pleasant place to visit that leaves you speechless to describe the emotions, flavors and textures you will find here. Here are 10 interesting facts about Oaxaca:
1. Oaxaca comes from the Nahuatl ‘huáxyacac’ which means ‘at the tip of the huajes’.
2. It is famous for its artisanal products such as: alebrijes, goldsmiths and many indigenous textile designs, especially embroidery and unraveling.
3. On the last two Mondays of July, the Guelaguetza takes place, a dance and music show featuring groups representing all the regions of Oaxaca.
4. Among the most important Oaxacans are Benito Juárez, Porfirio Díaz and, in the visual arts, the painter, Rufino Tamayo.
5. Oaxaca has one of the largest indigenous populations in Mexico; Of the 570 municipalities that it has, 418 are predominantly indigenous.
6. The feast of the Virgin of Juquila is one of the greatest traditions of the Catholic community of Oaxaca and is celebrated every year on December 8.
7. Among the typical food of the state we can mention cecina, tamales oaxaqueños, guías de calabaza, tlayudas, black mole, chapulines, memelitas and guajes.
8. At the parties in Oaxaca, figures such as skeletons, devils, kings and cribs, music bands and colorful figures of animals transformed into alebrijes stand out.
9. Three of the most visited places by tourists visiting Oaxaca are: Puerto Ángel, Huatulco and Pzipolite.
10. The state of Oaxaca is considered the first tourist destination in Latin America .
What are some interesting facts about Oaxaca that you have discovered? Tell us in the comments below!